Flute…

Home Forums Flute Community The Think Tank Flute…

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  tenzin 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

tenzin
    Participant

I haven’t seen much talk on this forum about flutes and dance. It’s not neccasarily a dance instrument, although I am sure indigenous peoples use it it ceremony to dance to….

Our first flute circle is today I am always looking for inspiration. In saying that I want to share this clip for it did inspire me, and although there is no flute music used in this dance…while I was watching the video I certainly heard a place for a NASF to play in this piece….

This is beautiful….and…

This inspired me: [ATTACH]2744.IPB[/ATTACH]

Tenzin

ghostferret
    Participant

I can see you now in your pink toto haha 😆

tenzin
    Participant

QUOTE(Rainbow @ Aug 23 2009, 08:14 AM)
    I can see you now in your pink toto haha 😆

Greg, that would be a tutu, I believe…and it wasn’t the attire that inspired me…. 😮

There is a story behind this performance that is most enchanting…and inspirational.

As I said, while I watched this dance I could see it supported with a NASF… :)

Tenzin

heartsong man
    Participant

Hey Tenzin, Thank You for that one. Wow that was definitely “Powerful” and “Beautiful” and “Touching” all at the same time. :) Definitely “Inspirational” for sure! Many Blessings…Robert

dryad
    Participant

QUOTE(Heartsong Man @ Aug 22 2009, 01:55 PM)
    Hey Tenzin, Thank You for that one. Wow that was definitely “Powerful” and “Beautiful” and “Touching” all at the same time. :) Definitely “Inspirational” for sure! Many Blessings…Robert

Yes! Thank you, Tenzin. Definitely Powerful and Touching! I was half-way through it before I noticed that the woman was… (I don’t want to give it away for others.) But it made me think how elegant and beautiful we all can be even though none of us is ever really perfect. For me, it is an excellent illustration of the imperfect perfection and beauty of nature!

As for examples of NAF style flute with dance, I have to admit that I haven’t seen much. In fact, the only times I’ve seen it are times when my husband has been playing. Once for a Butoh dancer, a few times for a belly dance instructor friend of ours, but my personal favorite was when he played for three Tai Chi masters who were giving a demonstration. Of course, none of these were traditional in any sense, but the flute did seem to go well with all of these different forms of movement from such different cultures. An illustration of the universal qualities of art… I don’t know.

BTW, I do hope that your flute circle went well and that you’ll tell us all about it. :)

Make Art Not War ;)

greybeard
    Participant

Wow, that was a powerful performance.
    Thank you for sharing that link Tenzin,
    Ed

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

One of those Mac unfriendly file formats. :angry:

tenzin
    Participant

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Aug 25 2009, 02:28 PM)
    One of those Mac unfriendly file formats. :angry:

Ahh, that’s too bad Rick, this is one I am sure you would have loved it…

It was from China… :blink:

Tenzin

tenzin
    Participant

Rick, Try this [ATTACH]2789.IPB[/ATTACH]

Tenzin

ps. I think you can download this the way I attached it…if you want a copy

pss. I think

psss. Really, I think

jeff g
    Participant

Fantastic.. it took me until the end to realize she too was an amputee..

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

While the flute was not used much in Dance celebration, in Native culture, there is certainly no reason why it can’t be used for music to dance by.

I think that all forms of artistic expression can be merged, one with another, if it is done in the right way.

Certainly dancers are some of the finest athletes, there are, as they must not only be strong, and physically capable, but must exhibit amazing grace and poise, at the same time.

Give me a fine dance program, anytime over professional sports. :P

Tenzin…..watched it at work, as I have PC there.

tenzin
    Participant

There was a story with the video that was even more inspiring, if it was true. Basically, she was a well known dancer who lost her arm in an accident and suffered severe depression. She had tried to dance but had problems with balance and I believe she tried to ‘off” herself. Anyway, then she met this guy and talked him into dancing, he’d never danced before, and it was the crutch and the balance it offered her that got her dancing again, with him.

They hired a choreographer and entered this contest and won….all the rest of the dancers were able bodied…. ;)

Makes some of my petty daily whinging seem, well…insignificant, Tenzin

titmouse
    Participant

QUOTE(tenzin @ Aug 25 2009, 12:19 PM)
    There was a story with the video that was even more inspiring, if it was true. Basically, she was a well known dancer who lost her arm in an accident and suffered severe depression. She had tried to dance but had problems with balance and I believe she tried to ‘off” herself. Anyway, then she met this guy and talked him into dancing, he’d never danced before, and it was the crutch and the balance it offered her that got her dancing again, with him.

They hired a choreographer and entered this contest and won….all the rest of the dancers were able bodied…. ;)

What an amazing story! :rolleyes:

Anonymous

QUOTE(tenzin @ Aug 25 2009, 04:19 PM)

Believe me, it’s stuff like this that keeps me going with this stupid back problem of mine. I figure if they can do it missing a limb I can definitly do it with just a limp and a sore back.

tenzin
    Participant

QUOTE(Just Jim @ Aug 26 2009, 11:59 PM)
    Believe me, it’s stuff like this that keeps me going with this stupid back problem of mine. I figure if they can do it missing a limb I can definitly do it with just a limp and a sore back.

Just Jim,

Oh no, dont’ tell us you’re giving up the flute and starting ballet…. 😮

😆 Tenzin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.