2009 Flute Players Competition…d.o.a.?

Home Forums Native American Flute NAF General Discussion 2009 Flute Players Competition…d.o.a.?

This topic contains 140 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  bayo 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • Author

jeffball
    Participant

I was speaking with Geoffrey about this years flute competition and he said there are no submissions and no buzz on the Portal…Humm. It was such a hit last year that I’m wondering what’s up.

Is anyone planning on entering? The deadline is the end of July…thoughts?

~JB

Anonymous

Hau Jeff,
    I saw this post and thought I should reply, as I “play” and have posted music of it. I won’t enter a competition anymore for “art”. I know I still participate with Montreal First Peoples’ Festival, and a couple other venues where I “submit” my work, I just cannot bring myself to participate. I hope many do participate here though.
    Toksa Ake
    QUOTE(Jeff Ball @ May 21 2009, 05:05 AM)
    I was speaking with Geoffrey about this years flute competition and he said there are no submissions and no buzz on the Portal…Humm. It was such a hit last year that I’m wondering what’s up.

Is anyone planning on entering? The deadline is the end of July…thoughts?

~JB

Anonymous

I’m definitly entering!!!

I know I haven’t been on the portal much the last couple weeks, but that’s because things here have been kinda rough.
    And I didn’t submit anything yet because I want it to be perfect, and so far I haven’t been really happy with what I’ve recorded.
    But because the deadline isn’t until July, I figured I had time to polish up something really good.

Still, it isn’t dead, I’m definitly entering, even if I’m the only one here that does!

quahada winds
    Participant

I think most who will enter (myself included) might be working on material. I had a couple that I was torn between but the non-posted rule took them out of the game. NOT COMPLAINING! just stating a fact. I have others that are in the works. One will be done before its time I am sure.

jeffball
    Participant

It’s good to know there is still interest. Remember that this is supposed to be fun and a chance to show off. If we were going by the legend of the flute, I suppose this would decide who gets the girl. That gives me an idea- just a thought- what if the prize were a nice wool blanket since that’s what she brings to our first flute player at the end of the story?

~JB

nokeys
    Participant

Someday when I get a recording device….. ;)

Penni

jimtzu
    Participant

QUOTE(Anthony Lee @ May 21 2009, 08:38 AM)
    I think most who will enter (myself included) might be working on material. I had a couple that I was torn between but the non-posted rule took them out of the game. NOT COMPLAINING! just stating a fact. I have others that are in the works. One will be done before its time I am sure.

Anthony sums it up for me… i’m finishing up one piece for the compostitional part of the contest. the solo part should be easy by comparison. i’m not really one that goes in for contests and awards, but who could pass up a chance to be rejected by their peers, hehe….

Anonymous

QUOTE(Jeff Ball @ May 21 2009, 12:50 PM)
    It’s good to know there is still interest. Remember that this is supposed to be fun and a chance to show off. If we were going by the legend of the flute, I suppose this would decide who gets the girl. That gives me an idea- just a thought- what if the prize were a nice wool blanket since that’s what she brings to our first flute player at the end of the story?

~JB

I’m in between girlfriends… so honestly I think I’d like both the blanket and the girl!!!

pvanheuklom
    Participant

I might yet … I was hoping to get better recording equipment (alas, no), and honestly the level of competition this year seems daunting.

Last year’s buzz, I think, may have resulted from knowing what the prize was. :)

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

QUOTE(Jeff Ball @ May 21 2009, 08:50 AM)

~JB

Not much in to showing off, I guess. :huh: Not into recording gear, either. No money left after buying my flutes.

Anonymous

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ May 21 2009, 01:45 PM)
    Not much in to showing off, I guess. :huh: Not into recording gear, either. No money left after buying my flutes.

melinda
    Participant

im gonna enter!! i workin’ on mine!! 😆

seacall
    Participant

I’m thinking of entering, but with a July deadline, I’m not getting into a sweat just yet. At the moments, tunes and themes are perculating and then I have to choose one of my flutes…
    Pat

jimtzu
    Participant

QUOTE(Just Jim @ May 21 2009, 09:53 AM)
    So any chance to play Class Clown… 😆

i’m not familiar with that.. can you hum a few bars? 😆

gellis
    Participant

The prize will be something every bit as cool as last year, if that helps motivate anyone :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.