2008 Flute Players Contest!

Home Forums Native American Flute NAF General Discussion 2008 Flute Players Contest!

This topic contains 194 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  bayo 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 195 total)
  • Author

jeffball
    Participant

I see that Geoffrey has posted the news about the flute players competition. I am very excited to see this come together. This will be the only award determined by YOU! Please check out Geoffrey’s post and start to spread the word. We have some cool prizes’ that I think everyone will enjoy.

I have something to share, Geoffery and I were concerned about how folks would feel about a “competition.” Especially since I was taught that a flute player plays his/her soul. I’m sure you can see my problem…who wants a competition of souls? After several conversations we decided to move forward because the flute is rooted in a competition of sorts. Back in the day, as the kids like to say, a player would get a “date” based on his song. If a young warriors song moved the soul stronger than another…they won! With that in mind…we move forward. Create a song that speaks for you. Imagine that you are the “first” flute player and it is your song that must reach beyond words. If you choose not to enter, I encourage you to vote for the song that speaks to your soul.

Thanks!

Jeff

cryss
    Participant

This is such a cool idea…

I am going to have to start working on my chops ;)

I’m so glad we are “family” here, as I dont have to worry about producing flashy, polished pieces. ;)

What a great venue for synergy!

We have some great posts on home recording, but I would like to see some more posts on various, low production methods for how to do it using simple tools. Granted, some of that information is already there.

This will fun!

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

No competition here, that’s for sure! :P

karnalis
    Participant

I’m looking forward to hearing all the entries!

pvanheuklom
    Participant

I love the idea and will certainly try to come up with something, even though I’ve been playing for less than a year. The notion of “competing” against the likes of Jeff Ball, Kenneth Hooper, Jonny Lipford, Karnalis (should they choose to enter), among many others with more experience than I have is…well, daunting as hell. What I lack in talent and technique I guess I’ll have to make up with passion. I can get pretty passionate about the chance for a new flute from Geoffrey! :D

heartsong man
    Participant

QUOTE(pvanheuklom @ May 9 2008, 05:57 AM)
    I love the idea and will certainly try to come up with something, even though I’ve been playing for less than a year. The notion of “competing” against the likes of Jeff Ball, Kenneth Hooper, Jonny Lipford, Karnalis (should they choose to enter), among many others with more experience than I have is…well, daunting as hell. What I lack in talent and technique I guess I’ll have to make up with passion. I can get pretty passionate about the chance for a new flute from Geoffrey! :D
    Hey Paul, just do like they do there Brother, Just open up your Heart and Soul and Let the “Song” flow out. I’m sure it will be fine. ;) Many Blessings…Robert

gellis
    Participant

I encourage anyone who is inspired to do so to enter–regardless of experience. Merely going through the motions of composing a song, rehearsing and recording it will probably be a valuable experience for many players if they have never done it.

Besides, a solo flute competition has a way of leveling the field to a great degree. No experience with music composition or theory is required, no reference to background music, key changes, etc.. It all boils down to a melody that is played with feeling, as Jeff says above. We must remember that sometimes “less is more”!

And of course, all of the downloads will be anonymous throughout the voting period, so no one will know which entry belongs to whom.

So don’t be shy you players! Throw your hat in the ring–it all contributes to a great community experience :)

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

Well, even if I was willing to record something, I don’t have any recording equipment, so that pretty much takes care of that! :rolleyes:

noisybear
    Participant

Folks:

Great idea, of course I don’t need to participate as I already am a legend in my own mind!

I have always wanted to see an award given to NAF music based on the music and not all the hype and politics of the major awards. A peoples choice award if you will. Perhaps we could discuss some categories, ways of nominating, and have an annual vote for the various categories by the folks who love this genre and apprecaite the music. If we did it right it might become a really respected award. The votes could be tabulated and certified. I have thought this for a long time. Any thoughts? I have been told many of the major awards are decided by a few folks with money. What’s the deal that Nakai has not been awarded a Grammy? I wonder if it might be politics……………just wondering! Even have an idea of what the award might look like. G how many folks visit our site that might vote? Any idea. We might even vote on the finalists for each category. Democracy rules!

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

Ah, that’s optimism for you. (Democracy, that is.)

Dan, part of the awards issue, is how the awards are allocated. The Grammy vs. the Nammy, and so-on. It was a little amusing to me, that Mirabal won this year’s Grammy.

In any case, making everything entirely democratic, and above board, is a challenge in and of itself, in that there must be some guidelines and rules, and of course, that automatically means someone will be more restricted than someone else, in some way or another.

I guess I shall just observe from the wings, and see how it goes. I am sure some folks will find it fun, anyway. For me, I am not much into awards stuff, so it doesn’t matter much to me, personally.

I have to get up my courage, just to go wander about, in public, where I can do whatever I like, in the first place, on the flute.

jeffball
    Participant

QUOTE(Noisy Bear @ May 9 2008, 06:56 AM)
    Folks:

Great idea, of course I don’t need to participate as I already am a legend in my own mind!

I have always wanted to see an award given to NAF music based on the music and not all the hype and politics of the major awards. A peoples choice award if you will. Perhaps we could discuss some categories, ways of nominating, and have an annual vote for the various categories by the folks who love this genre and apprecaite the music. If we did it right it might become a really respected award. The votes could be tabulated and certified. I have thought this for a long time. Any thoughts? I have been told many of the major awards are decided by a few folks with money. What’s the deal that Nakai has not been awarded a Grammy? I wonder if it might be politics……………just wondering! Even have an idea of what the award might look like. G how many folks visit our site that might vote? Any idea. We might even vote on the finalists for each category. Democracy rules!

I’m glad to read so much good feedback about the competition. Geoffrey and I have been talking about this for over a year. We’re going to start with the solo playing this year and plan to add a twist in future years. I think that all suggestions are welcome and we’re bound to get better as time goes on.

oitz
    Participant

Mary Youngblood is one of the best composers and technicians on the market today. Mary has opened so many doors for others who have followed her in this market. She has brought the native american flute to the broader music community and continues to bring new folks to the flute, which benefits all of us who love this instrument.

We’re fortunate, here in Northern California, to have the opportunity to spend quality time with Mary. But we’re willing to share! Don’t be intimidated by Mary’s two grammy’s. If you’re planning an event or want to have Mary come visit your flute circle, drop her an invitation. The Loping Wolf clan of the Northern California Flute Circle has successfully worked with Mary to create a 1 day Musical Retreat which Mary would love to present for your flute circle. Contact Dan or Sheree DiCicco (or Mary) to discuss the event and how Mary may be able to present it locally for you. http://www.lopingwolf.com

gellis
    Participant

Well as far as democracy and the “guidelines and rules” go:

One of the nice things about online voting is that it is direct. For example, we will probably have it set up so that a registered user can vote, but only once. Each user can be identified by their IP address (which identifies a user by their computers connection to the internet). For a person to try to vote twice or anything like that, it would be a serious pain in the neck, involving multiple internet and e-mail accounts and different computers. I’m not saying it can’t be done, for there are always ways, but I think that most of the folks who populate a forum like this would not be tempted to “cheat” in any way. I choose to be an optimist on this subject :) If the contest grows and becomes a more serious event in the flute world, we will probably implement a secure voting system of some kind.

The details will be worked out soon, and the online voting will take place either here (on the forum) or on the Flute Portal main site. The main site was designed to allow for user voting, so the structure is already built in and can be tailored for a contest like this.

So the People’s Choice is literally the people’s choice. No filters, no committees, no politics of any kind. It is as simple as listening to the different songs and voting on a favorite–nothing could be more direct. That way, the “best” entry (read: public favorite) will always win, regardless of who they are or who they know.

And for Rick and any other folks who feel their participation might be limited by “gear”: a home computer can easily become a recording device without anything very fancy. An inexpensive computer mic or a USB mic can record the flute, and free software can be obtained as your virtual recorder. Most of that sort of software comes with built in fx like reverb and delay. A really nice recording can be made without a lot of fuss, and for a solo flute competition, it doesn’t need to be expensive. Something to think about.

In the future, we will probably expand the competition, making different categories to attract a wider array of players and styles. But unlike Grammys, Nammys, etc.., we will always have the direct democracy approach.

We would like the People’s Choice award to become something that is noteworthy and “worth the candle” in terms of participation. What can be a greater honor than being chosen by a jury of your peers? There will be an actual plaque awarded as well, so the winner can gloat accordingly ;)

rick mcdaniel
    Participant

Well……I just ain’t to up too date on all that computer gear, and don’t know where to go to learn it. Most of it seems to be windoze based, and while I have to use that at work, I don’t at home.

Guess I am just not motivated.

pvanheuklom
    Participant

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ May 9 2008, 09:31 AM)
    Well……I just ain’t to up too date on all that computer gear, and don’t know where to go to learn it. Most of it seems to be windoze based, and while I have to use that at work, I don’t at home. Guess I am just not motivated.

That’s okay, Rick. I’m motivated enough for both of us…ain’t sharing the flute if I win it, though. :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.